ZEROHOUR Extra NEWSLETTER:
Welcome to the ZEROHour Extra Central and Western Regions newsletter. This e-resource is shared quarterly to provide you with useful information on local prostate cancer events, news, and inspiring stories in your community.
Year-End Giving Helps Everyone
As 2022 comes to an end, you can take the opportunity to support nonprofit organizations such as ZERO and receive the tax-deduction benefits for the year. Consider donating to ZERO and encourage your friends and family to do so as well. All donations will be double-matched up to $300K through Dec 31. Follow ZERO on social media and share posts with your friends and family so they know where to donate and why ZERO's programs are important for patients and their families.
Central Region Updates
As ZERO continues to grow, there are some changes to the Chapters and some expansion of roles:
- The Midwest Chapter has been split into two new chapters. The Upper Midwest Chapter consists of Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Tracy Cameron has been promoted to Chapter Director for this region. The Central Midwest Chapter consists of Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas. Chapter Manager, Kaitlin Myers, will continue to work with area events, and Regional Director, Emily Sybrant, will continue leading the Chapter.
- The Northern California Chapter is now part of the Pacific Northwest Chapter with the addition of two states, Washington and Oregon. Chapter Director, Kourtney Brandt, is excited to get to know our new supporters, sponsors, and patients in the region.
- The Southern California chapter is now a part of the Southwest Chapter with the addition of Arizona.
- Daniella Garza is the new Manager of the Texas/Oklahoma Chapter.
- Renee Haney has been promoted to the National Director of Chapters.
Wrapping Up a Great Run/Walk Season
In November, we wrapped up the 2022 Run/Walk season. Thanks to everyone who took part in these events and for supporting those affected by prostate cancer. Following are some Chapter highlights:
- Twin Cities raised $89,000. Thanks to partners Minnesota Urology, Minneapolis Radiation Oncology, and Minnesota Oncology for coordinating this year's event.
- The Chicago SEA Blue event brought in $200,000 and attracted a large crowd. Team Aloha Chi-Hi traveled all the way from Hawaii to participate. Thanks to UroPartners, LLA, and all who supported, sponsored, and attended this year.
- Events in St. Louis, Des Moines, and Kansas City brought in $228,000.
- Houston exceeded its goal, raising $85,000. Thank you to practice partner Houston Metro Urology and race director Nancy N. for all of their hard work and dedication.
- San Antonio raised $65,000 and brought out 28 teams. Shout out to ZERO Champions Casey Fults and Daniel Brooks for leading the boards as top fundraisers, top teams, and having the largest team.
- Austin raised $65,000 with 200 participants. We'd like to give a BIG shout out to Urology Austin and race director, Courtney Burns, for all of their hard work in helping make this event a success.
- Tyler was a small, but mighty event that exceeded its fundraising goal of $55,000.
- Oklahoma City was hosted by Urology Associates. The wind that morning was very strong, but so were our participants and vendors.
- Napa Valley brought in over $100,000. Thank you to Adventist Health St. Helena's for their continued support as presenting sponsor.
- Sacramento raised $98,000. Thank you to host Golden State Urology.
- San Diego, Bakersfield, and Coachella Valley raised $103,000. Thanks to San Diego's Poseida Therapeutics team for their incredible fundraising and team support. Thank you to our partners Leonard Zasoki and Columbo Construction for putting on a wonderful Bakersfield event. Thank you to our Coachella Valley survivor and kid's dash sponsor, Eisenhower Health, for their ongoing dedication to the Coachella Valley community.
- The National Virtual Run/Walk Weekend took place September 30-October 1st. Thank you to presenting partner AutoNation. Runners and walkers came together across the country to zero-out prostate cancer through the RunGo app.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the 2022 Run/Walk season and helped raise funds and awareness for those affected by prostate cancer. We could not do this without you.
- ZERO Dallas Champions, Tammy and Jeff Holbert, absolutely ROCKED it this Run/Walk season! They traveled to six out of eight TX/OK Run/Walk events to support ZERO's mission to end prostate cancer.
- The 14th Annual Pros4Care Golf Tournament raised $30,000. Thanks to the event chair, sponsors, and participants. And a huge thank you to Ed Varney for his tireless dedication and commitment.
- A heartfelt thank you to Crisp Catering & Gold Rush Grill owner, Joe Thompson, who has given so much time and energy to spread awareness and education about early detection and for all his fundraising for the Sacramento Run/Walk. Joe was recently interviewed on KNCI 105.1 radio station to talk about his brother, John Thompson, who sadly passed away this Fall to prostate cancer. Joe's team "Papa JT" has raised $10,000 in honor of John.
- The first annual ZERO Prostate Cancer Tee-Off in Scottsdale was hosted by Champions Megan Curdy, Venetia Wilhelsen, Oliva Castro, and their families and friends. The event had 16 teams that raised $32,000.
Grow & Give
A huge shout-out to all teams and individual participants who were part of this year's Grow & Give fundraising campaign. Some of the highest fundraisers include: Baird team NovemBEARD, the Napa County Deputy Sheriffs' Association, and Anna and Ryan Pessah, who partnered with Flatstick Pub as part of Hops & Handlebars. Thank you to everyone for growing and giving to help ZERO out prostate cancer.
Central/Western Chapters vs. Eastern Chapters
The ZERO Chapter Team is committed to making a big end-of-year impact, and the challenge has been issued to see which region can raise the most money from November 15 - December 31. The region that raises the most will earn ultimate bragging rights in the year to come. Most importantly though, with your help, we hope to make a difference for the patients and families we get to work with every day. Join the Central/Western Team or make a donation to help us reach our goal to beat the Eastern Region in donations. Who doesn't love some friendly competition? Make a donation to the Central/Western Team.
One of the Upper Midwest's newest Illinois Champions, Gregory Bielawski, has sadly passed away. Greg was a longtime supporter of Us TOO and served on the Board of Directors. He made an incredible impact in the fight to end prostate cancer, and he will be deeply missed.
Thank You Hammer & Nails
Thank you to our new partner, Hammer & Nails, for their commitment to making a difference in the lives of prostate cancer patients. Hammer & Nails is the only BarberSpa for men, where they can have a grooming experience that tends to the whole man. This year, Hammer & Nails is committed to donating 1,000 free services for prostate cancer patients throughout the country. For more information, reach out to Emily Sybrant.
Be a Part of the
2023 ZERO Summit
Patients, partners, caregivers, supporters, researchers, and professionals will gather February 26-28 in Washington, D.C. for three days of education, support, and advocacy. Please register today to help make a difference for those affected by prostate cancer. If you want to take your involvement to the next level, consider attending the Summit as an advocate who will meet with legislators to promote prostate cancer research, education, and awareness. To participate, just indicate your interest in advocating in your registration.
» Register today for the Summit.
Thank YOU for being part of our inspiring community!
Your ZERO Central and Western Regions Chapter Team
Local Chapter News
Find information about what is happening in your local chapter on the chapter web page.
Share Your Feedback
Your feedback matters! Please share your thoughts and ideas with us, or if you have any other questions, contact your local chapter director.
If you or your organization would like to sponsor the ZEROHour Extra, Central and Western Regions newsletter, please contact your local chapter director.
Join an Event
What prostate cancer support and education events are happening this month? Check the calendar! The Prostate Cancer Calendar web page is a resource for the entire prostate cancer community.
515 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
This email was intended for
© 2023 ZERO Prostate Cancer. All rights reserved. ZERO is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.