Help Spread the Word in Your Community
Join the ZERO PCAM Proclamations Team
Use this toolkit to request a proclamation from your elected officials acknowledging September as Prostate Cancer Awareness Month (PCAM)!
What is a Proclamation?
A proclamation is an official designation within a city, state, or county to honor and raise awareness for a certain day or month. It brings awareness to prostate cancer by reminding communities of the burden of prostate cancer on men and their families.
Who Can Issue Proclamations?
- State Legislature
- Town Manager / Village Manager
- City Council Members
When Should I Request a Proclamation?
The public can request a proclamation at any point during the year. Some states, mayors, and town managers will issue a proclamation well in advance of Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, and some will ask you to submit a request in September. It is best to start early as some proclamations can take weeks to months to complete.
How do I Request a Proclamation?
- Identify what body of government you want to designate September as Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.
- For governors or state legislatures, many websites will have a designated proclamation section with instructions. Here is an example from the Governor of New Mexico.
- For smaller municipalities with mayors or town managers, you might need to make a phone call or write an e-mail to the office for instructions.
- When emailing the offices, it is important to include a snippet of your personal story and
connection to prostate cancer. Often times you will be communicating directly with the elected official, and he/she will want to hear from constituents about why this is so important to them
- Include the text of the proclamation with your email. This will speed up the process. You can find that text below and remember to replace the information highlighted with needed information.
- 4. If you have not received a response from an office for a couple of weeks, be sure to follow up!
Email ZERO if you have any issues during the process and let him know where you requested the proclamation so that we can add it to the PCAM Proclamations map!
What Happens after a Proclamation Is Issued?
Once you receive confirmation of the proclamation, you will receive a hard copy of the proclamation with a stamp of approval and signature. In some cases, the office will email you a version of the proclamation and then mail the hard copy in September. Be sure to email your completed proclamation to ZERO so your proclamation can be added to the map!
What Should I Do after I Receive Your Proclamation?
Notify ZERO that you were able to get a proclamation! and explain who issued the proclamation and where. ZERO will be tracking all of the proclamations!
Sample Proclamation Text
OFFICE OF THE MAYOR
STATE OF [STATE]
Proclaiming the month of September 2019 as Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.
WHEREAS, prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed form of cancer and the second leading cause of cancer related deaths among men; and
WHEREAS, this year approximately 174,650 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in the United States alone every year and roughly 31,620 die this year from the disease – which is one man every 17 minutes; and
WHEREAS, 1 in 9 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer. African American men are at the highest risk for the disease with a rate of 1 in 6 men. African American men are 2.2 times more likely to die from the disease: and
WHEREAS, education regarding prostate cancer and early detection strategies is critical to saving lives and preserving and protecting our families; and
WHEREAS, all men are at risk for prostate cancer and we encourage the citizens of (City) to increase the importance of prostate screenings.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, I, [NAME], do hereby proclaim the month of September 2019 to be Prostate Cancer Awareness Month in [CITY].